Alumni Recognition Nomination Guidelines
The Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering at Iowa State University has a rich history. To celebrate that rich history, the department has established two levels of alumni recognition: Hall of Fame and Distinguished Alumni. This document provides the framework for those recognitions.
- Criteria for Membership: For the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering (CCEE) Hall of Fame and Distinguished Alumni, an alumnus will be evaluated on:
- Professional Achievement and
- Service to the Profession and/or Community.
- To be considered for the recognition an alumnus must have a BS, MS or PhD degree from the Department of Civil, Construction or Environmental Engineering at Iowa State University granted at least 15 (fifteen) years prior to deadline for nomination.
- A person can be recognized in the Hall of Fame without being recognized as a Distinguished Alumni.
- A person who is not an alumni may be considered for honorary recognition in the Hall of Fame if they have had a profound impact on the CCEE Department that is well beyond the impact of others as well as meeting the criteria of alumni award. Non-alumni are not eligible to be a Distinguished Alumni.
- Nomination of Candidates: Nominations to the Hall of Fame or Distinguished Alumni must be submitted by August 15 of each year for induction the following year. Nominations will be accepted from alumni of the CCEE Department, current or past CCEE faculty members, or by one of the Recognition Subcommittees of the Department’s Industry Advisory Councils.
- Evaluation of Nominees and Selection of Inductees: Recognition Subcommittees within the advisory councils will evaluate nominees on behalf of the CCEE Department: Civil and Environmental Engineering Recognition Subcommittee and Construction Engineering Recognition Subcommittee. The Civil and Environmental Engineering subcommittee will evaluate applicants whose contributions are primarily in civil and/or environmental engineering while the Construction Engineering subcommittee will evaluate applicants whose contributions are primarily in the construction engineering area. Each subcommittee will have discretion to determine the number of deserving honorees in consultation with the Department Chair and the Construction Engineering Professor-in-Charge. Hall of Fame membership would be in the order of 2 to 3 per year while the Distinguished Alumni could be up to 6 per year, but these are not fixed numbers and can vary. There may be years when no one is elected. The number of nominations from each council is related to the number of graduates from each program.
Each Recognition Subcommittee will be composed of:
- Three members of the relevant industry advisory council,
- CCEE Department Chair for the Civil and Environmental Engineering Recognition Subcommittee and the Professor-in-Charge of Construction Engineering for the Construction Engineering Recognition Subcommittee, and
- One member of the other advisory council awards subcommittee.
- Each year the Recognition Subcommittees will evaluate nominees and recommend to the department the inductees by a unanimous vote of the subcommittee members.
- The Department Chair and the Professor-in-Charge will consult with each other and the university and approve the slate of nominees for induction into the Hall of Fame and as a Distinguished Alumni.
- At the start of the fall meeting, an advocate will present the nominees, then relevant industry advisory council will confirm each nominee by a vote during the meeting with a three quarter (75%) majority vote of all council members confirming induction into the Hall of Fame or as a Distinguished Alumni.
- Recognition of Inductees:
- Hall of Fame: The inductees confirmed will be honored at an appropriate event. A plaque with a portrait of each inductee and a brief statement of why they were inducted will be provided on the Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering Hall of Fame Display in Town Engineering Building and each Hall of Fame inductee will be presented with a plaque commemorating their place in the Hall of Fame. Additional details on the inductees will be provided on the department’s website.
- Distinguished Alumni: The inductees confirmed will be honored at an appropriate event. Their name will appear on the Award Wall in Town Engineering and each inductee will be presented with a plaque commemorating their induction as a Distinguished Alumni. Additional details on the inductees will be provided on the department’s website.