Assistantship & Fellowship Consideration
- MS and PhD students are considered for assistantships.
- Master of Engineering students: very limited TA assistantships, not eligible for RA assistantships.
- Applicants must indicate on the ISU Admissions application (there are check boxes) that they want to be considered for a teaching and/or research assistantship.
- Applicants considered for assistantships are also automatically considered for departmental fellowships & scholarships, no extra application is required.
Assistantship Financial Support
|Program||Time||Stipend||Tuition Scholarship||Health Insurance||Fees|
|MS||¼ (10 hrs/week)||$1,093/month1|
|MS||½ (20 hrs/week)||$2,186/month1|
|¼ (10 hrs/week)||$1,168/month2|
|½ (20 hrs/week)||$2,336/month2|
|¼ (10 hrs/week)||$1,218/month2|
|½ (20 hrs/week)||$2,436/month2|
1 Graduate College Minimum stipend – actual totals are dependent upon start dates.
2 Graduate College Minimum stipend + CCEE supplement – actual totals are dependent upon start dates
3 Residential (in-state) tuition.
4 Health Insurance – graduate assistants are automatically enrolled, dependents can be added at cost to the student.
5 Students are responsible for fees of approximately $500-700/semester, including:
- Activity, Services, Building & Recreation Fee
- Health Facility and Health fee (this is not health insurance, and are required)
- Engineering Technology Fee
- One-time Records fee (at start of program)
- Rates will change per academic year, see Tuition & Fee rates link below.
- Graduate College Minimum Stipends
- ISU Graduate Tuition & Fee Rates
- Students & Scholars Health Insurance Program
Alternative funding options
Assistantships are competitive, and not all students will be offered a TA or RA. Below please find a list of other funding sources.
- CCEE department fellowships & scholarships
- CCEE faculty can nominate applicants for departmental fellowships or scholarships.
- Award amounts vary depending on funding source, and would be partial support.
- Funding outside CCEE department. Students must investigate on their own.
- ISU College of Engineering Fellowship/Scholarship Opportunities
- ISU Grad College
- ISU Financial Aid: Privately Funded Scholarships – in the Classification drop down list, choose Graduate.
- After admission, at ISU: Student Job Board
- Graduate students would be allowed to work on or off-campus up to 20 hours/week.
- Outside ISU: Iowa Workforce Development
- Ames is in Story County, Iowa.