- Professor, Associate Chair for Research
- Courtesy Appointment to the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Director of WiST Laboratory
Main Office2343 Howe Hall
Ames, IA 50011-2271
- Ph.D. Civil (Structural) Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, 1992
- M.S. Civil (Structural) Engineering, Washington State University, 1986
- B.Tech. Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (Kanpur), 1985
- Wind Engineering/Wind Energy
- Wind tunnel simulations of ABL and unconventional winds (e.g. tornado, microburst) for wind loads; aeroelasticity (flutter) of civil and aero structures
- Aerodynamic/dynamic loads and response of wind turbines
- Hu, H., Yang, Z. and Sarkar, P. (2011). “Dynamic Wind Loads and Wake Characteristics of a Wind Turbine Model in an Atmospheric Boundary Layer Wind", Experiments in Fluids, DOI: 10.1007/s00348-011-1253-5.
- Zhang, W and Sarkar, P.P. (2011). “Near-Ground Tornado-like Vortex Structure Resolved by Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV),” Experiments in Fluids, DOI: 10.1007/s00348-011-1229-5.
- Thampi, H., Dayal, V. and Sarkar, P. (2011). “Finite Element Analysis of Interaction of Tornados with a Low-rise Timber Building,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol. 99, pp. 369-377.
- Chang, B., Sarkar, P.P. and Phares, B.M. (2010). “A Time-Domain Model for Predicting Aerodynamic Loads on a Slender Support Structures for Fatigue Design,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 136 (6), pp. 736-746.
- Haan, F.L., Balaramudu, V.K., and Sarkar, P.P. (2010). “Tornado-Induced Wind Loads on a Low-Rise Building,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE 136 (1), 106-116.
- Sarkar, P.P., Caracoglia, L., Haan, F.L., Sato, H. and Murakoshi, J. (2009). “Comparative and Sensitivity Study of Flutter derivatives of Selected Bridge Deck Sections: Part 1: Analysis of Inter-Laboratory Experimental Data,” Engineering Structures, 31, pp. 158-169.