- Associate Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office352 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-1066
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2008
- M.S. Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2004
- B.E. Civil Engineering, Regional Engineering College in Rourkela, India, 2001
- Big data analytics in transportation
- Data-driven decision making
- Traffic signal systems
- Safety and efficiency of traffic operations
- Smart rural transportation
Brief BiographyDr. Anuj Sharma is an associate professor in the Civil Construction and Environmental Engineering Department at Iowa State University. He also holds a joint appointment as a research scientist with the Institute of Transportation. In these positions, he teaches transportation engineering courses to undergraduate and graduate civil engineering students, conducts research in the transportation operations area and participates in numerous professional organizations. Dr. Sharma’s research has been recognized by many funding agencies. Dr. Sharma is currently leading research at the REACTOR (REaltime AnalytiCs of TranspORtation data) laboratory. The High Performance Cluster (HPC) assembled for the lab is able to ingest multiple streams of real-time data from multiple sources. The current efforts are focused on ingestion, real-time analytics, batch processing, visualization/front end development and archiving of data streams. Some of the tools developed under this effort can be found at the lab's website. REACTOR-HPC and a memorandum of understanding with Iowa DOT has placed Iowa State University among one of the very few facilities in the US transportation arena using big data analytics in the field of transportation.
Honors and Awards
- Social Analytics Strategic Network (SASNet) Fellow from Urban Big Data Centre (UBDC) and Business and Local Government Data Research Centre (BLGRC), 2016
- Outstanding Reviewer from the Journal of Transportation Engineering (American Society of Civil Engineers, 2014.
- Central States Conference ASLA 2014 Merit Award (Category-Research) for “Economic Framework for Feature Selection in Healing Garden: Evaluation at Women’s Hospital – Category IV,” HDR – Omaha, NE and UNL – Lincoln, NE, 2014
- Great Plains Chapter ASLA 2013 Merit Award (Category-Research) for “Economic Framework for Feature Selection in Healing Garden: Evaluation at Women’s Hospital – Category IV,” HDR – Omaha, NE and UNL – Lincoln, NE, 2013
- Pikarsky Award for Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation in Science and Technology by Council of University Transportation Centers, 2008
- Exceptional Paper Award for “Recasting Dilemma Zone Design as a Marginal Costs-Benefits Problem” Traffic Signal System Committee at TRB 86th Annual Meeting, 2007
News and ArticlesAnuj Sharma: Direct impact through civil engineering
- Christopher Sobie, Edward Smaglik, Anuj Sharma, Andrew Kading, Sirisha Kothuri, Peter Koonce, “Managing User Delay with a Focus on Pedestrian Operations,” accepted for publication in Transportation Research Record.
- Peter T. Savolainen, Anuj Sharma and Timothy J. Gates. “Driver Decision-Making in the Dilemma Zone – Examining the Influences of Clearance Intervals, Enforcement Cameras and the Provision of Advance Warning through a Random Effects Probit Model” Accident Analysis and Prevention. (Accepted for Publication).
- Anusha S. P, Anuj Sharma, Lelitha Vanajakshi, Shankar Subramanian, and Laurence Rilett, “A Model Based Approach for Queue and Delay Estimation at Signalized Intersections with Erroneous Automated Data,” ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering. (Accepted for Publication).
- Mo Zhao+, Anuj Sharma, Edward James Smaglik, and Tim Overman. “Traffic Signal Battery Backup Systems: Use of Event-Based Traffic Controller Logs in Performance-Based Investment Programming” Transportation Research Record, no. 2488, 2015, pp. 53-61.
- Sunil Gyawali+, Anuj Sharma, Aemal Khattak, and Edward James Smaglik. “Use of Decision Assistance Curves in Advanced Warrant Analysis for Indirect Left-Turn Intersections.” Transportation Research Record, no. 2466, 2015, pp. 54-63.
- Mo Zhao+, and Anuj Sharma. “Optimal Deployment of Hybrid Alternative Power System at Signalized Intersections.” Transportation Research Record, no. 2438, 2014, pp. 72-80.
- M. Zhao and A. Sharma. (2014) Book Chapter "Powering Traffic Intersections with Solar and Wind Energy," in Climate Change, Energy, Sustainability and Transportation Infrastructure, Springer, 2014.
- J. K. Mathew, L. Devi, D. M. Bullock, and A. Sharma. "Investigation of the Use of Bluetooth Sensors for travel Time Studies under Indian Conditions," 11th Transportation Planning and Implementation Methodologies for Developing Countries, TPMDC 2014, Mumbai, India, December 10-12, 2014.
- S. Gayawali and A. Sharma. "Evaluation of Operational Performance of Median U-Turn," Presented at Alternative Intersections & Interchanges Symposium, July 2014.
- S. Wang, A. Sharma, and S. Gayawali. "The Impact of Pedestrian Countdown Timers on Driver Behavior: A before and after case-study," 93rd Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C., January 2014.