- Wilson Engineering Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office376 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-3232
- Ph.D. Structural Engineering, University of California, 1998
- M. Eng. Civil Engineering (With Distinction), University of Auckland, New Zealand, 1989
- B.S. Civil Engineering (First Class Honors), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 1985
- Earthquake-resistant design of structures
- Wind energy
- Precast concrete structural systems
- Soil-foundation-structure interaction
- Ultra-high performance of concrete
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- Fellow, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI
- Iowa State University Mid-Career Achievement in Research, 2011
- Grace Miller Wilson and T.A. Wilson Endowed Engineering Professorship, College of Engineering, Iowa State University, 2008-13
- Best IT Innovation Award for Real-time System Visualization Tool (RSVtool), The George E. Brown, Jr., Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (NEES), 2008
- Aaleti, S., Brueggen, B.L., Johnson, B., French, C., Sritharan, S. 2013. Cyclic Response of RC Walls with Different Anchorage Details: An Experimental Investigation. ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering (accepted).
- Ng, K. W., Roling, M., AbdelSalam, S., Suleiman, M., and Sritharan, S. 2013. Pile Setup In Cohesive Soil with Emphasis on LRFD: An Experimental Investigation. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. (accepted)
- Ng, K. W., Suleiman, M., and Sritharan, S. 2013. Pile Setup In Cohesive Soil with Emphasis on LRFD: Analytical Quantifications and Design Recommendations. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. (accepted)
- Ng, K., Sritharan, S. Dunker, K., and DeBoer, D. 2013. Verification of Recommended Load and Resistance Factor Design and Construction of Piles in Cohesive Soils. Recommended for publication in Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies. (accepted).
- Henry, R. S., Aaleti, S., Sritharan, S., and Ingham, J.M. 2012. Seismic Analysis of a Low-Damage Precast Wall with End Columns (PreWEC) Including Interaction with Floor Diaphragms. Journal of the Structural Engineering Society of New Zealand 25(1):69-81.
- AbdelSalam, S., Suleiman, M., Sritharan, S. 2012. Enhanced Load-Transfer Analysis for Friction Piles Using a Modified Borehole Shear Test. ASTM International Geotechnical Testing Journal 35 (6).
- Levings, J., and Sritharan, S. 2012. Effects of Cold Temperature and Strain Rate on the Stress-Strain Behavior of ASTM A706 Grade 420(60) Steel Reinforcement. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 24(12), 1441–1449.
- Henry, R. Brooke, N. J., Sritharan, S. and Ingham, J. M. 2012. Defining the Concrete Compressive Strain at the Ultimate Limit State. ACI Structural Journal (109) 1: 101 – 112.
- Henry, R. Sritharan, S. and Ingham, J. M. 2011. Unbonded Tendon Stress in Post-tensioned Concrete Walls at Nominal Flexural Strength. ACI Structural Journal (109) 2: 171 – 182.
- Aaleti, S., Sritharan, S., Beirwagen, D., and Wipf, T., J. (2011). Experimental Evaluation of Structural Behavior of Precast UHPC Waffle Bridge Deck Panels and Connections. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, 2251 (82-92).
- AbdelSalam, S., Sritharan, S., Suleiman, M. 2011. LRFD Resistance Factors for Design of Driven H-Piles in Layered Soils. ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 16(6): 729-748.
- Roling, M., Sritharan, S., and Suleiman, M. 2011. An Introduction to the PIle LOad Tests (PILOT) Database and the Establishment of LRFD Resistance Factors for the Construction Control of Driven Steel H-Piles. ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 16(6): 728-738.
- Roling, M., S. AbdelSalam, S. Sritharan, and M, Suleiman. 2011. An Investigation of Design and Construction Practices for Bridge Pile Foundations in Iowa County Jurisdictions for LRFD Calibration. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, 2204 / 2011: 233-241.
- Silva, P. F. and Sritharan, S. 2011. Seismic Performance of a Concrete Bridge Bent Consisted of Three Steel Shell Columns. Earthquake Spectra, 27 (1): 107-132.
- AbdelSalam, S., Sritharan, S. and Suleiman, M. T. 2010. Current Design and Construction Practices of Bridge Pile Foundations with Emphasis on Implementation of LRFD. ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 15(6): 749-758.
- Suleiman, M. T., Vande Voort, T. and Sritharan, S. 2010. Behavior of Driven Ultra-High Performance Concrete H-Piles Subjected to Vertical and Lateral Loading Tests. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 136 (10): 1403-1413.
- Wotherspoon, L., Sritharan, S. and Pender. M. J. 2010. Modelling the Response of Cyclically Loaded Bridge Columns Embedded in Warm And Seasonally Frozen Soils. Engineering Structures, 32 (4): 933-943.
- Wotherspoon, L., Sritharan, S. andPender M. J. Carr. 2010. An Investigation on the Impact of Seasonally Frozen Soil on Seismic Response of Bridge Columns. ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 15(5): 473-481.
- Waugh, J., and Sritharan, S. 2010. Lessons Learned from Seismic Analysis of a 7-Story Concrete Test Building. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 14(3): 448 – 469.
- Henry, R. S., Aaleti, S., Sritharan, S. and Ingham, J. M. 2010. Concept and Finite Element Modeling of New Steel Shear Connectors for Self-Centering Wall Systems. ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 136(2) 220-229.
- Aaleti, S., and Sritharan, S. 2009. A Simplified Analysis Method for Characterizing Unbonded Post-Tensioned Precast Wall Systems. Journal of Engineering Structures, 31: 2966-2975.
- To, N. H. T., Sritharan, S.,and Ingham, J. M. 2009. Strut-and-Tie Nonlinear Cyclic Analysis of Concrete Frames. ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 135 (10) 1259-1268.