Geotechnical Mobile Lab
by Chris Neary | August 13, 2012 7:38 pm
Thanks to a generous gift from Dwayne McAninch and McAninch Corporation, Iowa State University has an on-site soil engineering test facility – the first of its kind in the United States.
The Geotechnical Mobile Lab helps researchers conduct projects in Iowa and beyond. The lab supports research conducted through the Institute for Transportation’s Center for Earthworks Engineering Research (CEER) and CCEE geotechnical materials/engineering.
Vision for the Lab
Geotechnical construction projects are built with specifications and processes that allow maximum efficiency and creativity on the part of the contractor; use acceptance criteria that ensure responsible use of public funds; and maximize value by increasing the performance life of roadways.
Objectives for the lab
- Understand the engineering properties of soils better that relate to performance in highway construction and have a high degree of reliability for agencies and contractors
- Improve earthwork construction quality and efficiency through the use of current and emerging construction equipment and intelligent construction technologies
- Develop improved laboratory and field-testing technologies and procedures for verification testing
- Test and field measure the properties of soils that relate to performance and use this knowledge to develop methods of quality control/quality assurance for geotechnical applications
- Provide field training opportunities to contractors and public agency personnel
Benefits being sought
- Increased productivity and efficiency
- Reduced construction costs
- More responsible use of public investments
- Greater reliability
- Improved performance
New soil tests
- GeoComp Load Frame and Hydraulic Loading Hardware for Resilient Modulus/Cyclic Triaxial Testing
- Pine Brovold Gyratory Compactor
Conventional soil tests
- Automatic Soil Proctor Compactor
- Relative Density Vibratory Soil Compactor
- 300 psi Air Compressor
- Rapid Soil Processor
- Large and Small Lab Drying Ovens
- 12 qt Hobart Soil Mixer
For more information, contact Richard L. Handy Associate Professor David White at email@example.com or 515 294-1463.
Check out the geotechnical/materials engineering research at Iowa State.
- [Image]: http://www.ccee.iastate.edu/files/2012/08/CCEE-Website-Photos-Strips_Geotech-Mobile-Lab.jpg
- Institute for Transportation’s Center for Earthworks Engineering Research: http://www.ceer.iastate.edu
- firstname.lastname@example.org: mailto:email@example.com
Source URL: https://www.ccee.iastate.edu/research/facilities/geotechnical-mobile-lab/