Roy R. Gu
- Associate Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office478 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-3232
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1991
- M.S. Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1987
- B.S. Civil Engineering, Wuhan University, China, 1982
- Environmental hydrology hydraulics
- Surface water quantity/quality modeling
- Watershed management
- Fate and transport of contaminants, hydrodynamics and hydraulic engineering
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- Honorary Member of Hydro-engineering Faculty, Georgian Technical University, Georgia, 2003
- Charles W. Schafer Faculty Award for excellence in teaching, research and service in Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, 1997
- Who's Who in Science and Engineering (Marquis Who's Who In America, 1997-98)
- National Science Foundation Engineering Education Scholar, 1995
- Gu, R., M. Sahu, M. Jha. (2015) "Simulating the impacts of bio-fuel crop production on nonpoint source pollution in the Upper Mississippi River Basin," Ecological Engineering, Vol. 74, pp. 223-229 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2014.10.010).
- Peng, Y., H. Zhang, R. Gu. (2013) "2D numerical simulation of flow characteristics in a channel narrowed by a cofferdam," Journal of Hydraulic Research, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 209-214 (DOI: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00221686.2012.748695).
- Zhao, X., R. Gu, C. Guo, K. Wang, S. Li. (2012) "Simulations of Flow Circulations and Atrazine Concentrations in a Midwest Reservoir," International Journal of Modern Physics: Conference Series, World Scientific, Vol. 19, pp. 27-38 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S2010194512008562).
- Zhang, Y. J., M. Jha, R. Gu, W. Luo, A. Lei. (2012) "A DEM-based Parallel Computing Hydrodynamic and Transport Model," River Research and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 647-658 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/rra.1471).
- Jha, M. and R. Gu. (2010) "Risk analysis of seasonal stream water quality management," Water Science and Technology, Vol. 62, No. 9, pp. 2075-2082 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2166/wst.2010.538).
- Gu, R. R. and A. Shu. (2010) "Modeling The Fate and Transport of Toxic Contaminants in Reservoir Overflow and Interflow," Modern Physics Letter B, Vol. 24, No. 13, pp. 1311-1314 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0217984910023505).
- Gu, R. R., and M. Sahu. (2009) "Assessing the Impact of Contour Strips of Perennial Grass with Bio-fuel Potentials on Aquatic Environment," World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 54, pp. 529-535.
- Gu, R. R. (2009) "Impact of Inflow and Ambient Conditions on Density-induced Current in a Stratified Reservoir," Modern Physics Letters B, Vol. 23, No.3, pp. 429-432 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0217984909018576).
- Guo, Y., Y. Hu, R. Gu, and H. Lin. (2009) "Characterization and micellization of rhamnolipidic fractions and crude extracts produced by Pseudomonas aeruginosa mutant MIG-N146," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 331. No. 2, pp. 356-363 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1016/j.jcis.2008.11.039).
- Chung, S. and R. Gu. (2009) "Prediction of the Fate and Transport Processes of Atrazine in a Reservoir," Environmental Management, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 46-61 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00267-009-9312-x).
- Sahu, M. and R. Gu. (2009) "Modeling the effects of riparian buffer zone and contour strips on stream water quality," Ecological Engineering, Vol. 35, No. 8, pp. 1167-1177 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2009.03.015).
- Yue, Q., B. Gao, Y. Wang, R. R. Gu. (2008) "Synthesis of Polyamine Flocculants and Their Potential Use in Treating Dye Wastewater," Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 152, No. 1, pp. 221- 227 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.06.089).
- Wang, Y., Gao, B. Y., Yue, Q. Y., Zhou, W. Z., Gu, R. (2007) "Color removal from textile industry wastewater using composite flocculants," Environmental Technology, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 629-637 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09593332808618824).
- Jha, M., J. G. Arnold, P. W. Gassman, and R. Gu. (2006) "Climate change sensitivity assessment on Upper Mississippi River Basin streamflows using SWAT," Journal of American Water Resources Association, Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 997-1015 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2006.tb04510.x).
- Jha, M., Z. Pan, E. S. Takle, and R. Gu. (2004) "Impact of climate change on streamflow in the Upper Mississippi River Basin: A regional climate model perspective," American Geophysical Union, Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 109, D9105 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2003JD003686).
- Gu, R.R., T .J. McDonald, and R. A. Lohnes. (2004) "Low Water Stream Crossings - The Iowa Experience," Transportation Research Record Journal of the the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 1819, No. 1, pp. 355-361 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3141/1819b-45).
- Gu, R. and S. Chung. (2003) "A Two-dimensional Model for Simulating the Transport and Fate of Toxic Chemcials in a Stratified Reservoir," Journal of the Environmental Quality, American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 620-632 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2134/jeq2003.0620).
- Chung, S. and R. Gu. (2003) "Estimating Time-variable Kinetics Transformation Rate of Atrazine in a Reservoir," Advances in Environmental Research, Vol. 7, Issue 4, pp. 933-947 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1093-0191(02)00098-9).
- Li, Y. and R.R. Gu. (2003) "Modeling Flow and Sediment Transport in a River System Using an Artificial Neural Network," Environmental Management, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 122-134 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00267-002-2862-9).