Johannes Van Leeuwen
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering; Food Science and Human Nutrition (courtesy)
Main Office476 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-3232
- D. Eng. Environmental Engineering, University of Pretoria (South Africa), 1988
- Graduate Diploma of Tertiary Education, University of Pretoria, 1983
- M.S. Engineering, Water Utilization, University of Pretoria, 1979
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Pretoria, 1975
Interest AreasDr. van Leeuwen's research includes the recovery of byproducts from liquid wastes and sludges, fungal treatment of food processing wastewater, and reuse applications of residues from water softening. He has several patents to his name.
- One of his developments, now owned by the Korean NK-03, is keeping exotic species out of coastal waters through disinfestation of ships' ballast water with bromine production through ozonation and now has been installed on five oil tankers.
- The purification of alcohol makes the world's purest vodka possible and Oz Spirits LLC, of which he is the founder, is launching a product, IngeniOz vodka, based on this process involving ozone, activated carbon, and nanogold filtration.
- He developed a new animal feed, potentially a new human food source, by developing a process for cultivating fungi on corn processing leftovers, with a product, MycoMeal, being commercialized.
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- 5 U.S. patents, plus 2 patents pending
- 14 international patents
- Innovator of the Year, R&D Magazine, 2009
- Global Grand Prize for Applied Research, International Water Association, September 2012
- R&D 100 Awards as team leader
- Mycofuel fungal process for biodiesel from processing wastes, 2009
- MycoMax fungal process for additional ethanol plant co-product, 2008
- Mycofuel fungal process for biodiesel from processing wastes, 2009
- MycoMax fungal process for additional ethanol plant coproduct, 2008
- Grand Prize University Research – American Academy of Environmental Engineers
- Fungal pilot plant for animal feed production, 2011, Honor Award
- Bio-oil from an integrated fungal lignocellulosic biorefinery, 2009
- Fungal process for ethanol plant stillage beneficiation, 2008
- Ethanol purification with ozonation and activated carbon, 2007
- Honorary member, Japan Industrial Water Association, 2002
- Van Leeuwen, J. (Hans). (2015) "Measuring ozone dosage," Letter to editor: Ozone Science and Engineering, Vol. 37, Issue 2.
- Gopalakrishnan, Kasthurirangan; van Leeuwen, J. (Hans); Brown, Robert C. (Eds.) (2011) "Sustainable Bioenergy and Bioproducts," Green Energy and Technology Series, 2012, ISBN: 978-1-4471-2323-1 (Print) 978-1-4471-2324-8 (Online) Springer-Verlag. (Link to abstract)
- Juretić; H. Dobrović, S., Ružinski, N., Lovrić, J., Pećarević, M., Mikuš, J., Crnčević, M., Marčelja, E-J., Marijanović Rajčić, M., Širac, S., Cooper W. J., Grewell, D., van Leeuwen, J. (Hans). (2011) "Pilot studies of ozonation for inactivation of Artemia salina nauplii in ballast water," Ozone: Sci. & Eng. Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 3-13 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01919512.2011.536501).
- Van Leeuwen, J., White, D.J., Baker, R. and Jones, C. (2011) "Reuse of water treatment residuals from lime softening, Part I: Applications for the reuse of lime sludge from water softening," Land Contamination & Reclamation, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 393-415 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2462/09670513.1012).
- White, D.J., Baker, R., and van Leeuwen J. (2011) "Reuse of water treatment residuals from lime softening, Part II Characterization of chemically stabilized lime sludge for use as structural fill," Land Contamination & Reclamation, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 417-433 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2462/09670513.1013).
- Baker, R., White, D.J. and van Leeuwen, J. (2011) "Reuse of water treatment residuals from lime softening, Part III In-situ testing of a test embankment for reuse of lime sludge from water softening," Land Contamination & Reclamation, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 435-448 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2462/09670513.1014).
- Vincent, M., Khanal, S. K.; Pometto, A. L.; van Leeuwen, J. (2011) "Simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of ground corn stover for the production of fuel ethanol using Phanerochaete chrysosporium, Gloeophyllum trabeum, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Escherichia coli," Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Vol. 21, No. 7, pp. 703-710 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4014/jmb.1010.10044).
- Vincent, M., Pometto, A. L., van Leeuwen, J. (2011) "Evaluation of potential fungal species for the in situ simultaneous saccharification and fermentation (SSF) of cellulosic material," Malaysian Journal of Microbiology, Vol. 7, No. 3 20. 129-138. (Link to publication)
- Mitra, D., Rasmussen, M. L., Chand, P., Chintareddy, V. R., Yao, L., Grewell, D., Verkade, J., Wang, T., van Leeuwen, J. (Hans). (2012) "Value-added oil and animal feed production from corn-ethanol stillage using the oleaginous fungus Mucor circinelloides," Bioresources Technology, Vol. 107, pp. 368-375 (DOI: http:/dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2011.12.031).
- Mitra, D., van Leeuwen, J. (Hans), Lamsal, B. (2012) "Heterotrophic/mixotrophic algal cultivation on agro-industrial co-product streams for lipid production," Algal Research Vol. 1, Issue 1, pp. 40-48 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.algal.2012.03.002).
- Zhu, W., Koziel, J. A., Cai, L., Brehm-Stecher, B., Özsoy, H. D., van Leeuwen, J. (Hans). (2013) "Ozonation-based decolorization of food dyes for recovery of fruit leather wastes," Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Vol. 61, No. 34, pp. 8198-8206 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf402590t).
- White, S. D., Beattie, S., Bern, C.J., van Leeuwen, J. (Hans). (2013) "Mycoflora of high-moisture maize treated with ozone," Journal of Stored Products Research, Vol. 55, pp. 84-89 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jspr.2013.08.006).
- Rasmussen, M. L., Khanal, S.K., Pometto, A.L. III, van Leeuwen, J. (Hans). (2014) "Water reclamation and value-added animal feed from corn ethanol stillage by fungal processing," Bioresource Technology, Vol. 151, pp. 284-290 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2013.10.080).
- Vincent, M., Khanal, S. K., Pometto, A. L., van Leeuwen, J. (2014). "Ethanol production via sequential saccharification and fermentation of NaOH treated corn stover using Phanerochaete chrysosporium and Gloeophyllum trabeum," Bioresource Technology, Vol. 158, pp. 1-6 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2014.01.083).
- Zhu, W., Koziel, J. A., Cai, L., Ozsoy, H. D., van Leeuwen, J. (Hans). (2015) "Quantification of Carbonyl Compounds Generated from Ozone-based Food Colorants Decomposition using On-fiber Derivatization-SPME-GC-MS," Chromatography, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 1-18 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/chromatography2010001).
- Ravi, S., Yao, L., Wang, T., Őzsoy H. D., Mitra, D., and van Leeuwen, J. (Hans) (2014) "Fungal oil with EPA in Mucor circinelloides cultivated on thin stillage from corn-to-ethanol production," J. Biores. Tech., in press.