- Assistant Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office350 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-1066
- Ph.D. Civil and Environmental Engineering, Northwestern University, 2008
- M.S. Systems Engineering, Tsinghua University, China, 2003
- B.S. Automation, Tsinghua University, China, 2001
- Transportation systems analysis with emphasis on network modeling and optimization
- Traffic flow theory
- Intelligent transportation systems
- Transportation energy
- Sustainable transportation and logistics
- Wang, W., X. Wang, and J. Dong, “Development and Calibration of a Long Distance Passenger Traffic Assignment Model”, Transportation Planning and Technology, 38(6), 626-645 (2015).
- Hamdar S.H., A. Talebpour and J. Dong, “Travel Time Reliability Versus Safety: A Stochastic Hazard-Based Modeling Approach”, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 16(1), pp. 264 - 273 (2015).
- Dong, J., Liu, C. and Lin, Z. (2014) "Charging Infrastructure Planning for Promoting Battery Electric Vehicles: An Activity-Based Approach Using Multiday Travel Data." Transportation Research Part C, Vol. 38, pp. 44-55 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2013.11.001).
- Dong, J., and Lin, Z. (2014) "Stochastic Modeling of Battery Electric Vehicle Driver Behavior: The Impact of Charging Infrastructure Deployment on BEV Feasibility." Forthcoming in Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board.
- Dong, J., and Mahmassani, H.S. (2013) "Improving Network Traffic Flow Reliability Through Dynamic Anticipatory Tolls." Transportmetrica B: Transport Dynamics, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 226-236 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/21680566.2013.856776).
- Lin Z., Dong, J., and Greene, D. L. (2013) "Hydrogen vehicles: Impacts of DOE technical targets on market acceptance and societal benefits," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 38, Issue 19, pp. 7973-7985 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.04.120).
- Wu, Xing, Dong, J., Lin, Zhenhong. (2014) "Cost Analysis of Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles using GPS-Based Longitudinal Travel Data." Energy Policy Vol. 68, pp. 206-217 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2013.12.054).
- Dong, J., and Mahmassani, H.S. (2012) "Stochastic Modeling of Traffic Flow Breakdown Phenomenon: Application to Predicting Travel Time Reliability." IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 1803-1809 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ITSC.2011.6083028).
- Dong, J., and Lin, Z. (2012) "Within-Day Recharge of Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles: Energy Impact of Public Charging Infrastructure." Transportation Research Part D, Vol. 17, Issue 5, pp. 405–412 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2012.04.003).
- Lin Z., Dong, J., Liu, C. and Greene, D. L. (2012) "PHEV Energy Use Estimation: Validating the Gamma Distribution for Representing the Random Daily Driving Distance." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2287, pp. 37-43 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3141/2287-05).
- Dong, J., Mahmassani, H.S., Erdogan, S. and Lu, C.-C. (2011) "State-Dependent Pricing for Real-Time Freeway Management: Anticipatory versus Reactive Strategies." Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, Vol. 19, Issue 4, pp. 644-657 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2010.10.001).