- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office410 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-3232
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002
- M.S. Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1995
- M.S. Civil Engineering, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey, 1993
- B.S. Civil Engineering, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey, 1989
- Ethanol Plant By-Product Uses for Pavement Geo-Materials Stabilization, TR-582
- Effect of Admixtures on Roller-Compacted Concrete Mixes
- Identification of Practices, Design, Construction, and Repair Using Trenchless Technology (TR-570)
- Non-destructive Evaluation of Iowa Pavements, Phase 2: Development of a Fully Automated Software System for Rapid Analysis/Processing of the Falling Weight Deflectometer Data
- Development of a Device for Analysis of Portland Cement Concrete and Composite Pavements: Phase 1 Feasibility Study
- Validation of Pavement Performance Models for the Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide
- Performance Evaluation of Concrete Pavement Granular Subbase (TR-554)
- Existing Pavement Input Information for the Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide
- Characterization of Unbound Materials (Soils/Aggregates) for Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide
- Performance Evaluation of Rubblized Pavements in Iowa: Investigation of Electromagnetic Gauges for Determination of In-Place Density of HMA Pavements (TR-547)
- Impact of Curling, Warping, and Other Early-Age Behavior on Concrete Pavement Smoothness: Early, Frequent and Detailed (EFD) Study
- Design Guide for Improved Quality of Roadway Subgrades and Subbases (TR-525)
- Impacts of Overweight Implements of Husbandry on Minnesota Roads and Bridges
- Impact to Concrete Pavement Smoothness from Curling, Warping, and Other Early-Age Behavior: Early, Frequent, and Detailed (Proj. 16)
- Nondestructive Evaluation of Iowa Pavements, Phase 1
- Implementing the Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide (TR-509)
- Design and Construction Procedures for Concrete Overlay and Widening of Existing Pavements (TR-511, Project 6)
- Attributes of Good In-Service Concrete Pavements (Project 9)
- Rehabilitation of Concrete Pavements Utilizing Rubblization and Crack and Seat Methods (TR-473)
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- Charles W. Schafer Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research and Service, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, ISU, 2005, 2014
- Best Paper Award (2nd place) for Novel Smart Engineering System Design, International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks in Engineering, ANNIE 2005, St. Louis, MO, Nov. 5-8, 2005
- Wakonse Fellow, In recognition of dedication and outstanding contributions for improving teaching and learning at ISU, 2005
- Best Paper Award for Novel Smart Engineering System Design, ANNIE 2004, St. Louis, MO, Nov. 7-10, 2004
- Guclu, A., Ceylan, H., Gopalakrishnan, K., and Kim, S. (2009) “Evaluation of the Mechanistic-Empirical Design Guide Software for Analyzing Rigid Pavement Systems, Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 135, No 8, pp. 555-562.
- Ceylan, H., Schwartz, C. W., Kim, S. and Gopalakrishnan, K. (2009). “Accuracy of Predictive Models for Dynamic Modulus of Hot Mix Asphalt, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 21, No 6, pp 286-293.
- Bektas, F., Wang, K., and Ceylan, H. (2009). “Effects of crushed clay brick on mortar durability, Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 23, Issue 5, May 2009, pp. 1909-1914. Ceylan, H., Coree, B., and Gopalakrishnan, K. (2009) “Evaluation of the Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide for Implementation in Iowa. The Baltic Journal of Road and Bridge Engineering, March 2009, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 5-12.
- Ceylan, H., Gopalakrishnan, K., and Kim, S. (2009) “Looking to the Future: The Next Generation Hot- Mix Asphalt Dynamic Modulus Prediction Models, International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Vol. 10, Issue no 5, pp. 341-352.
- Ceylan, H. and Gopalakrishnan, K. (2008) “Computationally Efficient Surrogate Response Models for Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Analysis and Design. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering. DOI: 10.1080/15732470802550077. Available online at Informaworld (first published on 24 December 2008).
- Bektas, F., Wang, K., and Ceylan, H. (2008). “Effect of Portland cement fineness on ASTM C1260 expansion, ASTM Journal of Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 36, No. 5, pp. 436-442.