- Senior Lecturer
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office450 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-3232
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering with Specialization in Construction Engineering & Management, Iowa State University, 2016
- M.S. Civil Engineering with Specialization in Construction Engineering & Management, Iowa State University, 1996
- B.A. Architecture, Iowa State University, 1989
- Scholarship of teaching and learning
- Engineering education
- Project management
- Proposal writing
- Capstone classes for undergraduate engineers
- First-year experience/learning communities
Brief BiographyBeth Hartmann joined Iowa State University's Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering (ISU CCEE) Department in 2009. Before becoming a faculty member, she served for 20 years in the U.S. Navy as a Civil Engineer Corps officer. Hartmann worked in the areas of construction management, design project management, contracting, facilities engineering and public works. She retired in 2009 as a commander (O-5). Hartmann currently teaches the construction engineering learning community and the civil engineering/construction engineering design-build capstone course. She also serves as an adviser for the ISU National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) Student Chapter. Hartmann also coaches the ISU Green Energy Challenge team. She serves as an academic adviser for construction engineering students and is a licensed professional civil engineer in the State of Florida and a LEED Accredited Professional.
Honors and Awards
- Engineering Student Council Academic Adviser of the Year, 2016
- College of Engineering Superior Adviser Award, 2015
- 2015 ASCE Outstanding Reviewer ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice
- ISU Award for Early Achievement in Teaching, 2014
- Women Impacting ISU Calendar, 2014
- ASCE ExCEEd Assistant Mentor, 2012, 2013, 2014
- 2012 Joseph C. and Elizabeth A. Anderlik Undergraduate Teaching Award
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Excellence in Civil Engineering Education (ExCEEd) Teaching Fellow, 2011
- Professional Civil Engineer (Florida)
- LEED Accredited Professional
- Retired in 2009 from the U.S. Navy
- Served for over 20 years as a Civil Engineer Corps Officer
- Hartmann, B. L., Stephens, C., and Jahren, T. (2015). Surveying industry needs for leadership in entry-level engineering positions.” American Society for Engineering Education, Washington, DC.
- Hartmann, B. L., Stephens, C. M., & Jahren, C. T. (2016). "Validating the importance of leadership themes for entry-level engineering positions." Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. In Press.
- Hartmann, B. L. & Jahren, C. T. (2015). "Leadership: Industry needs for entry-level engineering positions.” Journal of STEM Education: Innovations and Research, 16(3), 13-19.
- Becker, K., Hartmann, B., and Miller, J. (2014). "Fostering Successful Career Paths in Construction: Motivation, Evaluation, Feedback," Pract. Period. Struct. Des. Constr. 19, SPECIAL ISSUE: Construction Engineering: Leveraging Project and Career Success, 159-167.
- D. Rover, S. Mickelson, B. Hartmann, C. Rehmann, D. Jacobson, A. Kaleita, M. Shelley, A. Ryder,* M. Laingen,* and M. Bruning. "Engineer of 2020 Outcomes and the Student Experience," Proc. 2013 ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, October 2013.
- Hartmann, Beth Lin. "Construction Depth Practice Exams (CECNPX)," Professional Publications, Inc., 2012.