Ahmad A Alhasan
- Associate Scientist, Center for Transportation Research and Education (CTRE)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office2711 S Loop Dr, Suite 4700 Research Park 4
2711, IA 50011-1295
Phone: (515) 294-5504
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering (minor in statistics), Iowa State University, 2015
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering, University of Akron, 2013
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, Hashemite University, 2010
- Asset management
- Pavement performance evaluation
- Vehicle pavement interaction
- Risk assessment
- Reliability analysis
- Statistical learning for civil engineering applications
Brief BiographyAhmad Alhasan in an adjunct assistant professor and associate research scientist of transportation engineering. He developed assessment techniques to evaluate pavement surface condition using laser scanning technology. He has devised algorithms to autonomously process 3-D point clouds to detect distresses and evaluate ride quality. More recently, Ahmad has utilized advanced friction models to evaluate pavement friction using micro/macro-texture measurements. Ahmad is developing a new framework to evaluate reliability and risk of pavement performance to improve decision making and asset management.
Honors & Awards
- Research Excellence Award, Iowa State University, Fall 2015
- Geo-Construction Engineering Scholarship, Iowa State University, Fall 2015
- Alhasan, A., Bou-Saab, G., Smadi, O., Hernandez, N., and Cochran, E. (2018). “Pavement Friction Modeling Using Texture Measurements and Pendulum Skid Tester” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board (Submitted July 2017).
- Yang, S., Alhasan, A., Ceylan, H., and Kim, S. (2018). “Accuracy Assessment of Light Detection and Range System for Slab Curvature Measurements” Transportation Research Board.
- Alhasan, A., Smadi, O., MacKenzie, C., and Bou-Saab, G. (2017). “Impact of Spatial Pavement Friction on Crash Risk Assessment” 2017 Mid-Continent Transportation Research Symposium, Ames, Iowa.
- Alhasan, A., Smadi, O., Adarkwa, O. (2017) “Building Spatiotemporal Models for Pavement Surface Deterioration” The 2017 UTC Spotlight Conference: Rebuilding and Retrofitting the Transportation Infrastructure, Washington, D.C.
- Alhasan, A., Younkin, K., Smadi, O., Adarkwa, O. (2017) “3D Point Cloud Data Collection and Processing: A Discussion on Pavement Surface Condition Visualization” 8th International Visualization in Transportation Symposium, Washington, D.C.
- Adarkwa, O., Nlenanya, I., Smadi, O., and Alhasan, A. (2017). “Investigation of Discrepancies in Roughness Data Collected By the Iowa Department of Transportation & a Private Data Collection Agency.” Transportation Research Becord: 96th Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- Yang, S., Ceylan, H., Gopalakrishnan, K., Kim, S., Taylor, P., and Alhasan, A. (2017). “Assessment of Concrete Pavement Curling and Warping Using Light Detection and Ranging.” Transportation Research Becord: 96th Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- Alhasan, A., McGuire, M. P., Vennapusa, P. K. R., and White, D. J. (2016). “Application of Terrestrial Laser Scanning for Three Dimensional Monitoring of GRS-IBS Abutments.” Geo-Chicago 2016, Sustainability, Energy, and the Geoenvironment, Chicago, IL.
- Alhasan, A., White, D. J., and De Brabanter, K. (2016). “Wavelet filter design for pavement roughness analysis.” Computer‐Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 31, 907-920.
- Alhasan, A., White, D. J., and De Brabanterb, K. (2015). “Continuous wavelet analysis of pavement profiles.” Automation in Construction, 63, 134–143.
- Alhasan, A., White, D. J., and De Brabanter, K. (2015). “Spatial pavement roughness from stationary laser scanning.” International Journal of Pavement Engineering (online), 1–14. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10298436.2015.1065403
- Alhasan, A., White, D., and De Barbanter, K. (2015). “Quantifying Unpaved Road Roughness from Terrestrial Laser Scanning.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2523, 105–114.
- Alhasan, A. A., Abbas, A. R., Nazzal, M., Dessouky, S., Ali, A., Kim, S.-S., and Powers, D. (2014). “Low-temperature characterization of foamed warm-mix asphalt produced by water injection.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2445(1), 1–11.
- Ali, A., Abbas, A., Nazzal, M., Alhasan, A., Roy, A., and Powers, D. (2013). “Effect of temperature reduction, foaming water content, and aggregate moisture content on performance of foamed warm mix asphalt.” Construction and Building Materials, 48, 1058– 1066.
- Ali, A., Abbas, A., Nazzal, M., Alhasan, A., Roy, A., and Powers, D. (2013). “Workability evaluation of foamed warm-mix asphalt.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 26(6).