- Assistant Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering (Courtesy)
Main Office424 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-3232
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, University of California-Irvine, 2011
- M.S. in Structural Engineering, University of Tehran, 2006
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, University of Tehran, 2004
- Vulnerability assessment of structures under mechanical and environmental stressors
- Nano-scale investigation of cement-based materials
- Evaluation of uncertainties involved in aging mechanisms
- Practical implementation of advanced statistical approaches
- Condition assessment of deteriorating structural components
- Mitigation of disasters in civil infrastructure components
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- SEI Young Professional Scholarship, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2015
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, 2014
- ASCE ExCEEd Fellowship, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2014
- U.S. Frontiers of Engineering, National Academy of Engineering, 2012
- Young Engineer Award, Orange County Engineering Council, 2012
- ASCE New Face of Civil Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2012
- Public Impact Distinguished Fellowship, University of California-Irvine, 2010-2011
- Shafei, B., and Alipour, A. (2014) "Application of large-scale non-Gaussian stochastic fields for the study of corrosion-induced structural Deterioration," Engineering Structures, In Press (DOI: http://dx.doi/org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.12.024).
- Hajilar, S., and Shafei, B. (2014) "Nano-scale investigation of elastic properties of hydrated cement paste constituents using molecular dynamics simulations," Computational Materials Science, In Press (DOI: http://dx.doi/org/10.1016/j.commatsci.2014.12.006).
- Alipour, A., Shafei, B., and Shinozuka, M. (2013) "Reliability-based calibration of load and resistance factors for design of RC bridges under multiple extreme events: scour and earthquake," ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 18, Issue 5, pp. 362-371 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000369).
- Alipour, A., Shafei, B., and Shinozuka, M. (2013) "Capacity loss evaluation of reinforced concrete bridges located in extreme chloride-laden environments," Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 8-27 (Editor’s Choice Article) (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2010.525243).
- Shafei, B., Alipour, A., and Shinozuka, M. (2013) "A stochastic computational framework to investigate the initial stage of corrosion in reinforced concrete superstructures," Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 28, Issue 7, pp. 482-494 (Hojjat Adeli Award for Innovation in Computing) (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/mice.12019).
- Shafei, B., Alipour, A., and Shinozuka, M. (2012) "Prediction of corrosion initiation in reinforced concrete members subjected to environmental stressors: A finite-element framework," Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 42, Issue 2, pp. 365-376 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2011.11.001).
- Alipour, A., Shafei, B., and Shinozuka, M. (2012) "A multi-hazard framework for optimum life-cycle cost design of reinforced concrete bridges," Structural Seismic Design Optimization and Earthquake Engineering: Formulations and Applications, IGI Global, pp. 76-104 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/978-1-4666-1640-0.ch004).
- Alipour, A., Shafei, B., and Shinozuka, M. (2011) "Performance evaluation of deteriorating highway bridges located in high seismic areas," ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 16, Issue 5, pp. 597-611 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000197).